American Girl, the doll company, was launching a new content section named "Explore" to help parents and adults create stronger bonds and connections with their 8- to 12-year old girls (the company's core audience) by providing timely advice and activity content. To transition the site from wireframes to live, I was contracted to define overall content strategy, develop brand-focused copywriting, and employ UX writing skills to easily acclimate users to the new section.
Develop a strategy and monthly editorial calendar to deliver content that educates, entertains, and engages the intended audience, while simultaneously integrating existing brand content from other various channels and promoting current business objectives.
Brand Objectives Met:
1. Create adult-focused content to complement the vast array of content and products geared toward girls.
2. Educate the adult audience on how best to engage with their girls and the company products they have or content they read.
3. Strengthen brand messaging around the company's dedication to girl.
Pitch and write content to satisfy the editorial calendar and approved content strategy.
Brand Objectives Met:
1. Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including web, product, editorial, marketing, and brand, to develop content based on current campaigns, product launches, events, and seasonality.
2. Research existing content from magazine, book, web, and product to cross-promote, stay consistent with brand messaging, and minimize overhead costs by reusing assets.
3. Make girl the hero in Explore content using product and editorial content as a means to support the connection between adult and child.
4. Recommend design and image asset use to complement written content.
Explore, Sample Content
Brand direction provided: What American Girl offers is a point of difference. We have more than just dolls but also books full of advice and a magazine full of activities, as well as we do a lot of charity work. This content should serve as a “deeper dive” to learn more about available books.
Content adapted from The Care and Keeping of Us by Cara Natterson to promote the then newly released title.
American Girl Place is known for turning birthday celebrations into memorable experiences. But not all girls can make it to one of the few retail locations. The brand direction was to highlight AG birthday parties by allowing them to serve as inspiration for just as special and meaningful at-home parties.
Partner with the web design team to recommend and write microcopy and macrocopy needed within the new Explore section.
Brand Objectives Met:
1. Help users easily navigate the new section and understand how the content is relevant and useful to them.
2. Test new content and design uploads to ensure links, buttons, videos, and more are correctly working.
3. Offer a selection of options for headlines, teasers, captions, and other microcopy while ensuring the content matches brand voice and style.
4. Develop relevant open graph tags for optimal Facebook sharing of content.
American Girl "Pledge" Campaign, Team Girl Microcopy Samples
The American Girl "Pledge" was an integrated digital campaign, with tone and style direction established in the Adolescent Content produced commercial (shown for example below, but not my work). I created supplementary copy for landing page slider images as well as offered design recommendations.
American Girl "Pledge" Campaign, Team Girl Macrocopy Samples
Copy blocks were paired with slider image landing pages to help tell more to the story of the brand and its campaign.
All for Girl; Girl for All
At American Girl, girls are our pledge, our passion, our purpose. We see the strength, value, and spirit of girls of all ages as cause for celebration. Individually, girls are amazing; together, they’re unstoppable. You can help girls unlock their potential. The world is ready. We are ready. Make your pledge to Team Girl now!
We Ignite the Strength Inherent in Girls
We ignite the strength inherent in girls. Girls are our pledge, our passion, our purpose. Our goal is to develop experiences and products that help girls build life skills and fuel connections among girls. We give girls the opportunities to explore who they are and share what they believe.
All Things Girl
We pledge ourselves to Team Girl, the unstoppable force of girls working together and supporting each other. It’s a group of strong girls who are made all the more so by having an inspiring team standing behind them. A team made up of other girls—from toddlers to seniors—plus cheering dads, brothers, and friends. And as its leader, we are uniting that force and helping it shine.
Explore, Open Graph Meta Tags
For easier sharing of online content, open graph meta tags were paired with all website copywriting created.
<meta property="og:description" content=" Starting November 6 through November 30, 2015, American Girl will match any doll purchase made online, in store, or via phone with an 18-inch doll donation (up to 1,000 dolls each day) as part of its 2015 Together We Make the Holidays campaign.Working with the Children’s Hospital Association, the donation—worth nearly $3 million in retail value—will help bring comfort and cheer to thousands of young girls receiving care in any of the Association’s 200 U.S. member hospitals.</>
<meta property="og:description" content="Thanks to the American Girl Community, girls and their families and friends have been hosting bake sales all across the country, donning aprons, frosting cupcakes, and stirring up change. Following the message of our Girl of the Year, Grace Thomas that working together is the best recipe for success, these bake sales and charitable donations helped No Kid Hungry raise enough money for more than two million meals./>
<meta property="og:description" content="A round up of ten American Girl stocking stuffer presents that mom and dad can buy to give Santa a helping hand. The list includes doll outfits, pets, holiday doll accessories, doll pajamas, and more.</>